Monday, May 3, 2010

Many Hands Make Light Work

So I can finally check one thing off my bucket list. On April 28th, the advertising agency I work for, McDonnell Haynes, participated in a Habitat for Humanity Toronto build. I was a little nervous because I've never been a part of building a house before and wasn't really sure what to expect. What I found out was that they assign you to a task quickly, teach you and then instantly put you to work for the rest of the day. And it was HARD WORK.

My task was putting up drywall. I had no idea that installing drywall was such hard work. Maybe because I am used to cutting up foam core at work for mounting projects that I underestimated the weight of sheets of drywall. They are pretty damn heavy. My muscles the next day were furious with me. I know I sound like I'm complaining, its only natural for me considering I have never built anything bigger than a paper doll! But I had a great time, it was fun to wear plaid, a tool-belt and wield a drill like Mike Holmes. Plus, I learned a lot about building and it was for an amazing cause. I would do it again in a heart beat.

For more information on how to get involved with Habitat for Humanity Toronto please click here.

Here are a few pictures from the build too! Taken by Vanessa Galle


No comments:

Post a Comment